Assess Your Risk Appetite: Complimentary Report
The National Association of Corporate Directors Advisory Council on Risk Oversight met in February 2017 to discuss the board’s role in the development and oversight of risk appetite. NACD offers a complimentary copy of the report.
The discussion – cohosted by NACD, PwC, and Sidley Austin LLP – highlighted a number of takeaways for directors:
- Align the risk appetite statement with company strategy.
- Use the risk appetite statement to inform critical processes and decisions.
- Continually reevaluate the risk appetite statement.
The NACD Advisory Council on Risk Oversight: Board-Management Dialogue on Risk Appetite resource can help boards to take the following steps:
- Determine which metrics to use in the risk appetite statement.
- Establish performance targets in incentive plans that promote high performance and limit unhealthy risk-taking.
- Shape company culture by defining tolerance levels for risk.
- Improve communication across the company and boost reporting to the board.